Monday, February 1, 2010

Birth Education and a Plan

We signed up for childbirth education classes today at our hospital. I had flirted with the idea of doing the Bradley Method but the classes just don't fit into our schedule, 12 weeknights or Saturdays just don't work with a husband working 100 hour weeks, including Saturdays. I did buy the book and I hope to implement some of the techniques, but Adam isn't really into it. So we'll stick with our 2 day accelerated course and go from there.

The Bradley Method is Husband Coached Childbirth. So rather than having a midwife, your husband coaches you through a natural delivery. Now Adam isn't really up on me having a natural childbirth in the first place. He knows I'm pretty high strung and I think he wants me drugged so the birth will be a little more mellow. And he doesn't want to be the coach because he's afraid I'll freak out on him, this is a very realistic fear and I can't really blame him. So I'm trying to come up with a birthing plan that will suit the both of us.

The first thing I have to acknowledge is that although I am creating a plan, I have to be ready to let go of it if needed. I'd love to try this thing naturally, but I understand if my body isn't into it that I may need pitocin or an epidural. I can handle that. I just want to try everything possible to make this a positive experience. But when it comes down to it, I'm so excited to meet my son, I'm ready to do almost anything.

I found an awesome website that helped me to organize my birth plan. It's not super detailed, but good for now and I highly recommend it. So now I just have to focus on the first part of birthing education, the hospital tour scheduled for next Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment